Braintree: Couple sues Whole Foods, ranch over son’s E. coli death
A Braintree husband and wife who blame their 8-year-old son’s death on the ground beef they bought at a Whole Foods Market have sued the supermarket chain and the ranch they say produced and processed the meat.
Melissa and Andrew Kaye, of Braintree, said in their federal suit filed Tuesday that the beef they bought at the Weymouth store was contaminated with a powerful strain of E. coli. Their son, Joshua, died in July.
Melissa Kaye tells the Boston Herald the suit “is about bringing awareness to the issue of food safety and forcing change.”
Whole Foods said while it cannot comment on pending litigation, its own investigation “has not shown any clear link to our business.”
Missouri-based Rain Crow Ranch said testing established that its meat was not contaminated.
The boy’s death was the first E. coli related child fatality in Massachusetts since 2012.
A GoFundMe page has been created to fund causes and charities that Joshua was passionate about, and to provide scholarships.